Wednesday, May 9, 2012

It's starting all over again

   As most of you know i have started a new job in Steubenville, Oh. I am opening a new office for a new company, as with most new openings it is a challenging time, made worse by the fact it is a new town for me and i know nobody in the area, whice means i know no clients either. All of this is made worse by the fact i have to spend a lot of time away from my family.
   In my last job my employer and i did not see things eye to eye. He wanted me to be a full time sales person and i was hired for remediation and doing spills. So we constantly argued about sales. Well when i interviewed for this position i told them if they wanted a sales person, i was not the person for the job. His response was they did not believe in seller doers. I thought that was great and accepted the job. Well now 2 months into the job i get a call from the bosses boss and am told i need to focus all my attention to doing sales. Now you have to keep in mind that (not trying to be concided) when i get into see someone i can sell snow to an eskimo, but i can not do cold calls or appointment setting to save my life. My question is this, does anybody understand the old addage that a mans word is his bond? What happened to truth and integrity? I don't want to sound like i am venting and bad mouthing my new employer, i just want at least 1 employer to keep their word. I truely love the work i do but i absolutly HATE doing sales, the cold calls and appointment setting anyways.

4 comments:

Patty said...

I'm sorry you've been put in this position. It sucks to be told one thing and then have it change for the worse once you've committed to something. Let's hope it's all worth it in the end and that you'll get enough spills and clients quickly that sales won't be an issue soon.

Mama D said...

It is my experience that *every* job has some negatives to it... and usually some unexpected "requirements" that weren't clearly defined or have been changed without notice.

It seems to me that you have some choices: suck it up and deal with it, or talk about compromises, or do whatever works for you.

Discuss expectations with all of your bosses so *everyone* understands and is clear about what you were told when hired and what is being said now - and what you and the employer can expect moving forward. Negotiate job requirements for a more even distribution - both you and the employer make some concessions (ie: you sell more than you want but less than they want).

In our experience, sometimes others have blinders on and can't see the hypocrisy between what they say and what they do, and you have to leave and find another job. Nobody wants (or deserves) to be the scapegoat...

I hope things work out! It seemed they finally were falling into place. Good luck!

Papa D said...

Call me. Ray (573-822-4075)

Louann and Bari said...

It sounds like to me...(you need more advise, right?).
Maybe your boss just wants to keep you busy. If you aren't working on spills, he wants you to try to keep growing the business. Like Patty said, as the business gets busier, you won't have the need to do 'sales'.
So, just think of it as doing the necessary things to keep your job moving in the right direction.
Which is worse, doing sales..or having the office closed because you aren't busy enough to pay for the overhead?
Remember..you believed the Lord put this job in your hands..and He did that for a reason. Maybe through your 'cold calls' (and yes, they do suck..I've done them before)..you will make the contacts you need to fulfill whatever the Lord wants you to do. It's really about Him, right? Not about you.
Sorry this is so long...eternity is longer!
You are a strong man with strong faith...this is nothing in the eternal scheme of things..